Every cycle tourist has their prized possessions, things they wouldn’t dream of leaving home without.
Among the many products vying for your attention, we proudly present our all-star list. Each one has withstood repeated daily use and been worth every penny.
1. Hilleberg Nallo 3GT Tent – Your tent is going to be your home on the road so it’s important to choose a good one and Hilleberg are known as the best in the business when it comes to making high quality, lightweight tents. We chose the three person model because we wanted a little extra room, especially nice when you’re stuck in the tent on a rainy day. Even in the windiest and wettest conditions, our tent has never let us down. We’ve always been snug and dry inside and we’ve only had to do minimal maintenance on it to keep the zippers moving smoothly. It only takes a few minutes to put up and is very simple to erect with just three poles and four pegs needed. We recommend buying the groundsheet to go with the tent as it makes the porch fully usable even in soggy conditions. Even if you don’t go for this particular tent, there are some things to consider when choosing a tent for bike touring.
2. Hilleberg XP10 Tarp – A tarp isn’t a necessity for a cycle tour but it’s a very nice luxury, especially if you’re travelling in areas like Europe in spring or autumn when at least a little rain is a probability. If bad weather really kicks in you’ll feel quite smug as you get out of your tent to cook, play cards or just lounge around in roomy style while the rain comes down around you. We’ve also used our tarp for instant shade in harsh environments like deserts and as a shelter that goes up in seconds when storm clouds unexpectedly appear. Like Hilleberg’s tents, their tarp is small, lightweight, easy to pack away and withstands all kinds of weather from rain to sleet, snow and hail.
3. Kitchen Knives – There’s nothing worse than dull knives, whether you’re cooking at home or on tour, so invest in versatile knives that will serve you well for most of your cooking needs. We picked two small knives from Victorinox, one a simple paring knife for cutting things like onions and fruit and another with a serrated edge for slicing tomatoes and bread. Between these two knives, we can make quick work of most foods when we’re making supper on the road.
4. Merino Wool Clothing – We’ll be honest here. Our feet tend to stink after a day on the road. Before we discovered the wonderful properties of Merino wool, we had to change our socks every day or risk scaring off everyone around us. When we discovered Merino wool socks early on in our trip it was a real revelation. We don’t know what those sheep do that’s so special but the special characteristics of the wool means we can now wear the same pair of socks for three or four days. That’s a lot less washing and fewer socks to carry around. They also just feel nice. Soft on your tootsies, thick but not overly hot. Just perfect. We can heap equal praise on our Icebreaker Merino wool tops, which we can easily wear for a couple weeks at a time. They still look as new as the day we bought them, they’re thin yet warm, light and small to pack away in our panniers.
5. MSR Whisperlite Internationale – We love to cook so we researched intensively before buying a stove and we aren’t disappointed with our choice. Every day we spark up our Whisperlite ($99.95 from REI) to make our morning coffee, our evening meal and sometimes even our lunch. Despite using it two to three times a day over many months, we’ve only had to do a some regular cleaning and replace a few of the o-rings and filters (all normal maintenance) to keep it running like a charm. It boils water very quickly, important when you are starving after a hard day of pedalling. The Whisperlite Internationale runs on a variety of fuels, including normal petrol so wherever you are in the world you’ll always find something to spark it up with. It’s sturdy too. MSR also offer great customer service in our experience and that means peace of mind. See our full review on the MSR Whisperlite, including trouble shooting tips.
6. Ortlieb Folding Bowl – We often joke that on our tour we’ve got everything, including the kitchen sink. Our kitchen sink turns out to be made by Ortlieb. This 10 litre foldable bowl (£16.80 from Wiggle) is amazing in its simplicity and versatility. We use our folding bowl (it collapses into a small, flat triangle for easy storage) for everything from making salads to doing laundry, from doing dishes to carrying to the shower. When we buy too many fruits and vegetables, we can strap our bowl onto the back of our bikes for some quick extra storage. One touring couple we know love the bowl so much they bought two of them! See our full review on the Ortlieb Folding Bowl.
7. Ortlieb Panniers – When it comes to panniers, it’s hard to find anyone who doesn’t rave about their Ortliebs. We haven’t gone easy on ours; filling them to the brim, forgoing rain covers and frequently laying our bikes down on the ground with the panniers on the dirt (we don’t have kickstands). They’re still going strong though, with only a little fading and a bit of dust to show for all that wear. They slip on and off the bikes in seconds. On days off they’re reasonably comfortable to carry around with the straps around our shoulders. Most importantly, they remain entirely waterproof. Who could ask for anything more? See our full review on Ortlieb Panniers.
8. Roberts R9968 SW Radio – It seems cycle tourists are split on whether or not to take a radio along. Some like to be far removed from the daily grind but for a big tour like ours it’s important to keep up with the news. If a war breaks out in our planned path or if a monsoon is about to hit, we want to know about it. Our Roberts Radio has turned out to be a gem for keeping up on the world around us. It’s smaller than your average pocket-sized novel but it’s rarely failed to bring in the BBC World Service, even in cities where there’s plenty of interference. It runs for what seems like forever on a pair of AA batteries and we can use it as a clock and an alarm as well as a radio, simply turning a dial to see both a home time zone and the local time for the area we’re in on two separate displays. A leather case keeps it clean and protected from knocks.
9. Tubus Logo & Ergo Racks – It’s tempting to buy cheaper racks when you’re already spending a lot of money to get kitted out for a tour but don’t fool yourself. They’re likely to be expensive in terms of frustration and replacements before long. Of all the tourers we’ve met on the road, the most common complaint was about broken racks. See more on Choosing A Rack For Bike Touring.
10th March 2010 at 10:59 am #
Whats your opinion on the difference between the MSR Whisperlite International and the MSR Dragonfly stove? I’m considering both.
10th March 2010 at 11:38 am #
The Dragonfly is A LOT louder. We have never used one but we’ve cycled with someone who had a Dragonfly and we were amazed at how loud it was. It’s also a little bit heavier than the Whisperlite.
26th March 2010 at 2:04 pm #
A few silly little things I take that weigh nothing:
Plastic bags – keeps stuff dry
Rubber gloves – keeps hands clean when fixing a dirty bike
Dental floss – as well as the obvious use, its really strong and can be used to fix things like string.
17th June 2012 at 2:18 pm #
But how do you get the knives on the airplane? You only use them for LOCAL tours?
14th February 2022 at 5:11 am #
I must point out my appreciation for your kindness for folks that actually need assistance with this particular subject matter. Your very own commitment to getting the solution along appears to be amazingly productive and has truly helped most people just like me to achieve their ambitions. Your amazing warm and helpful guidelines means a great deal to me and extremely more to my peers. Warm regards; from each one of us.
3rd March 2022 at 6:52 pm #
I wish to voice my respect for your kindness in support of men and women that should have guidance on this issue. Your real commitment to passing the solution throughout had been unbelievably valuable and have truly helped many people like me to attain their pursuits. Your warm and helpful tips and hints signifies a great deal a person like me and still more to my fellow workers. With thanks; from everyone of us.
3rd March 2022 at 6:54 pm #
I actually wanted to develop a small comment in order to thank you for those nice suggestions you are giving out on this site. My time-consuming internet research has at the end of the day been recognized with high-quality know-how to write about with my pals. I ‘d tell you that many of us readers are very much fortunate to dwell in a useful site with many awesome people with very helpful basics. I feel pretty privileged to have come across the webpages and look forward to many more fun times reading here. Thanks a lot once more for a lot of things.
3rd March 2022 at 6:54 pm #
Thanks a lot for providing individuals with an extraordinarily marvellous opportunity to read from here. It really is very enjoyable plus full of amusement for me and my office mates to search your blog the equivalent of thrice a week to read the latest secrets you have. And of course, we’re always happy considering the cool thoughts served by you. Certain 2 areas in this article are unquestionably the simplest we have ever had.
9th March 2022 at 11:48 am #
I want to voice my affection for your generosity for those individuals that must have help with the idea. Your real commitment to passing the message all over had been exceedingly interesting and has usually helped others just like me to achieve their desired goals. Your new insightful advice can mean this much to me and further more to my colleagues. With thanks; from everyone of us.
16th March 2022 at 3:06 am #
I and my friends appeared to be looking at the nice guides found on your website while suddenly I had a horrible feeling I had not expressed respect to the blog owner for those secrets. Most of the men became for this reason very interested to learn them and already have really been taking pleasure in those things. Appreciate your getting quite considerate as well as for finding this form of quality areas most people are really needing to know about. My sincere regret for not expressing appreciation to earlier.
20th July 2022 at 10:53 pm #
I wish to show my love for your generosity in support of men and women who actually need guidance on that subject matter. Your real commitment to getting the message all through turned out to be rather productive and have in most cases empowered employees like me to reach their dreams. Your amazing interesting guidelines signifies so much to me and especially to my colleagues. With thanks; from everyone of us.
20th July 2022 at 10:53 pm #
I simply desired to say thanks yet again. I am not sure what I would have accomplished in the absence of these ideas revealed by you regarding such situation. It actually was a very terrifying concern in my opinion, however , understanding a specialized avenue you solved that forced me to jump over gladness. I am happy for this advice and then have high hopes you find out what a powerful job that you’re getting into training many others via a web site. More than likely you have never encountered all of us.
20th July 2022 at 10:54 pm #
I’m commenting to let you know what a terrific experience my friend’s daughter found studying yuor web blog. She figured out such a lot of details, with the inclusion of what it’s like to have a marvelous giving character to let most people easily know specific specialized topics. You really exceeded readers’ expectations. Thanks for giving such productive, safe, edifying and fun tips about this topic to Tanya.
5th August 2022 at 5:23 pm #
I wish to express my appreciation for your kindness supporting those who should have guidance on the subject. Your very own dedication to passing the solution across ended up being certainly invaluable and have constantly encouraged girls much like me to arrive at their objectives. Your personal warm and helpful help and advice entails this much a person like me and further more to my peers. Thank you; from all of us.
5th August 2022 at 5:23 pm #
I’m just writing to let you be aware of what a beneficial discovery my daughter went through browsing the blog. She even learned several details, which included what it is like to have a great coaching spirit to let other individuals easily completely grasp certain tricky issues. You truly exceeded her expected results. Many thanks for imparting the interesting, healthy, edifying and even fun tips about your topic to Sandra.
15th August 2022 at 9:02 pm #
I simply desired to thank you very much again. I do not know what I would’ve implemented in the absence of the type of creative ideas provided by you about this topic. Entirely was an absolute troublesome problem for me personally, but understanding the specialized manner you treated it made me to weep over contentment. I’m happy for your information and as well , sincerely hope you find out what a great job you are accomplishing educating the mediocre ones via a web site. Most likely you haven’t encountered all of us.
15th August 2022 at 9:03 pm #
I would like to voice my affection for your kind-heartedness giving support to folks that have the need for assistance with this one field. Your real dedication to getting the solution all over had become definitely significant and have really encouraged associates like me to realize their ambitions. This helpful publication denotes a whole lot to me and extremely more to my colleagues. Thank you; from all of us.