Wondering how to get started? Here are our top books, articles and bike touring resources.
Books & Magazines
There’s nothing like a well-written book when you’re hunting for practical information. These books will save you time, and you can take them along on tour to read them at your leisure.
Bike Touring Survival Guide: Packed with practical advice for planning your bike tour, this book has sold over 6,000 copies and has been universally praised. Available in PDF, Kindle and ePub formats. Learn more and download a free preview.
Bicycle Traveler Magazine: A free bike touring magazine that comes out a few times a year.
Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook: Our review of the book that’s become known as the bike tourist’s bible – and we’re not just saying that because we contributed a chapter! It’s a must-have on your bookshelf.
The Neither Authoritative Nor Concise Guide to Riding Bikes in Southeast Asia: If you’re considering a trip to Thailand, Malaysia, Laos and Singapore then you’ll definitely want to flip through this quirky, cute and helpful guide to Southeast Asia. It’s another freebie!
Resources By Country
Articles about specific regions and countries are added to this map. Zoom into your area of interest to find the most relevant articles.
You can also view our country-by-country notes from our 2006-2009 world bike tour. Some are a little out of date but they still give a good general overview. We add updates from other cyclists, as we receive them.
If you have an update to share, please get in touch so we can share it with others!
In addition to our Bike Touring Survival Guide, we recommend these popular articles:
- Inspiration To Take Your First Bicycle Tour
- How Much A Bike Tour Will Cost
- The $100 Touring Bike (or why you don’t need an expensive bike to go touring)
- Ten Places To Ride Your Bike Before You Die
- A Lightweight Packing List (see also A Simple Packing List, Packing Tips For Women and Overpacking: What One Bike Tourist Left Behind)
- Packing A Bike In A Cardboard Box For Flying
- Flying With A Bicycle In A Plastic Bag
- Tips For Packing Bicycle Panniers
- Best Tires For Bike Touring
- What You Need To Know About Panniers
- Choosing Luggage Racks For Touring
- Advice For Wild Camping
- Insurance For Bicycle Tours
Newsletter & Social Media
To stay up-to-date with all the latest bike touring news, sign up for our newsletter and we’ll deliver a free preview of our Bike Touring Survival Guide to your email inbox. You can also read previous editions of the newsletter.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter:
When you sign up, you’ll receive a 45-page preview of our popular Bike Touring Survival Guide. We’ll also send you occasional newsletters, full of helpful bike touring tips. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you and you can unsubscribe at any time.
- Bike Touring Podcasts – During our world trip, we started creating bike-touring podcasts. We don’t update them any more but you may enjoy listening to the ones we produced.