Planning a bike tour? This site is all about inspiring and helping you to get out and travel by bike.
It’s written by us, Friedel & Andrew. We’ve cycled in 33 countries and by 2010 we’d covered over 60,000km. At that point, we stopped counting but on average we cycle 4,000-5,000km a year.
Where to start? That’s a good question. This website contains hundreds of articles and resources.
You may also want to read some of the most popular articles on this website.
- Inspiration To Take Your First Bicycle Tour (also recommended: the Sweet Life of Bicycle Touring)
- How Much A Bike Tour Will Cost
- The $100 Touring Bike (or why you don’t need an expensive bike to go touring)
- Ten Places To Ride Your Bike Before You Die
- A Lightweight Packing List (see also A Simple Packing List, Packing Tips For Women and Overpacking: What One Bike Tourist Left Behind)
- Packing A Bike In A Cardboard Box For Flying
- Flying With A Bicycle In A Plastic Bag
- Tips For Packing Bicycle Panniers
- Best Tires For Bike Touring
- What You Need To Know About Panniers
- Choosing Luggage Racks For Touring
- Advice For Wild Camping
- Insurance For Bicycle Tours
Get in Touch if you still don’t see what you’re looking for. We’d love to share what we know and help plan your next cycling trip.
Three years ago our son Luke was born and our lives changed. When we started bike touring, it was hard to imagine that a few years later we’d be taking a third little cyclist along for the ride on weekend trips, across Europe and even as far away as Cuba. Family bike adventures are certainly a read more...
We just spent a day wandering around one of Europe’s biggest cycling fairs, the Fiets en Wandelbeurs in Amsterdam. Three-year-old Luke was tagging along and this limited our time to look around. We couldn’t honestly say that we stopped at more than half of the stands but we still managed to make a few discoveries, read more...
Have a week free this summer? Then you might want to check out the Alpa Adria Radweg, which runs 410km from the Austrian city of Salzburg to Grado in Italy, on the Adriatic coast. read more...
In May 2014, we spent 3 weeks cycling around Switzerland. Now, some 7 months later, we’ve finally found time to put together a little film of our trip: 15 Ways To Entertain A Toddler On A Bike Tour. read more...
Last week, we stumbled across the website of Leah Bostwick. In the summer of 2013, she and a couple friends cycled 1,600km across Europe on bicycles that cost just $50 U.S. As Leah writes on her site, The Vegetarian Traveller: A wise man once said to me, ‘All you need to cycle is a bicycle read more...
For years now, our trusty tent for bike touring and camping has been Hilleberg’s Nallo 3GT but this summer we retired our Nallo 3GT in favour of something bigger: the Decathlon Quickhiker Ultralight 4 tent. read more...
- Radical Design Cyclone IV Trekking Trailer
- 2nd Edition of the Bike Touring Survival Guide, Now Available!
- Six Days, Four Countries, Four Bikes and a Toddler
- Tips For Cycling The Vennbahn Rail Trail
- Europe’s Best Bike Routes In 2014
- Mavic XM719 Rims: Probably Not Suitable For Loaded Touring
- More recent items »