You have a dream. You want to ride your bike across your state, your country or even the whole world.
But along with the excitement of that dream, there are the butterflies doing loops in your stomach. What about this? What if that?
It’s normal of course to have some concerns, whether you’re an experienced bike tourist or a beginner, and we’d like you to share them with us. Let us know what your biggest worry is by participating in the poll below. Is it dealing with traffic? Getting lost? Or something else altogether?
In a few weeks, we’ll tally up the responses and offer tips for dealing with those challenges.
Update: The poll is now complete. See what bike tourists are most concerned about.
Your top bike touring concern is….
- Getting hit by a vehicle
- Finding a place to sleep at night
- Loneliness (touring solo)
- Becoming ill on the road
- Planning (routes, what to pack)
- Safety (being robbed, harassed, monsters in the night)
- Failing to finish the trip
- Riding in bad weather
- Reaction of family / friends
- Not having enough money
- Getting time off work
- Bike breakdown
- Getting lost
- Bike getting stolen1
- Going back to home / work at the end of the tour1
- Fear of the unknown1
- Companions who whine when the above happens1
- Chronic injury1
- Losing control on big descent1
- Realising your plans are holding you back1
- A sore bum1
- Being attacked by a dog1
Total Votes: 182
Started: November 25, 2009
1 = Added by a guest